This the second post in our summer guest blogger series. Claire S. is the creative young lady behind the blog Barely Monday. In the fall she will be entering her junior year of high school in a Connecticut town of only a few hundred. After high school she wants to study visual communications with aspirations to enter a career in the magazine industry. Follow Claire on StyleSays to stay up-to-date on all her favorite looks.
Let me paint you a picture; you’re in an old time town in the heart of historical Connecticut. Everywhere you turn there’s a soccer-mom in a mini-van, a Vineyard Vines sweater, or nautical striped cardigan (not that we don’t love those from time to time). Then you pass a girl that looks slightly out of place but you can’t figure out why. That’s me. I’ll most likely be wearing a maxi skirt, high waisted shorts, or neon-something.
So, what’s a self-proclaimed hipster like me doing in a historical New England town you might ask. Yeah, I don’t know either to be honest. Ever since the ripe age of eight years old I’ve had my sights sets on the big city lights of New York City and LA. After living in SoCal in my early years I’ve also adopted that laid back beach bum style. You could definitely say at this point that I have a bad case of style-schizophrenia! I always try, especially at this time in my life, to experiment with my style and find a balance.
As a high schooler of course I constantly aim to fit in, this being extremely hard when you’re a girl like me stuck in a town like this. Confused yet? Let me break it down. Every spot-on outfit of mine starts with denim. Whether that be my treasured Levi’s denim vest (bought at Urban Outfitters of course!) or a pair of white bootcut jeans. After that, add in a little frill. With the vest I’ll most-likely be wearing a chiffon maxi skirt, a high-waisted circle skirt, or a bustier dress. If I’m feeling the jeans that day I could be wearing my Kirra button down with lace cutouts or my Leifnotes mixed-print chiffon blouse. As a dancer, I always like to have comfortable shoes. However; ladies, comfortable shoes don’t mean you have to be perpetually glued to the soles of your converse! I love to turn to my Steve Maddens for this one. I’m currently in love with my new mixed-print moccasins. In the winter, I’m routinely lacing up my ‘Troopa’ boots. I’ve also been lusting after the ‘Studly-L’ leopard studded loafers. If you take a look at my overflowing closet you’ll also find an array of wedges, gladiator sandals, light blue Sanuks, and my favorite purple low-tops (sorry, I couldn’t resist the converse!).
Lastly, I have to have my kick of neon. This could come in the form of neon blue hoops, a neon pink lace vest, or a neon yellow tank. Finish off the look with simple makeup essentials and voilà! You have an outfit I’d be wearing on any given day. Other signatures of mine include, but obviously not limited to; one of my favorite dresses à la Pacsun, a worn-in tank thanks to Urban Outfitters, and always topping off my outfits with a stud in one ear and a feather in the other.
My head is spinning thinking about all the different components that create my one of a kind style you could only imagine how I manage to fit in with the kids at my “preppy” high school. The key to this fine art is always having one classic piece (denim is always a fool-proof choice) and then embellishing. Honestly, if I can do it you can do it! In the morning I throw on some Bombay Bicycle Club or Miike Snow, jump in the shower, throw my hair in a messy bun, and use my handy outfit equation to get dressed. No need to experiment with makeup. Cover-up, powder, bronzer, eyeliner, and mascara is all I need and I’m out the door! Even though I always get that “omg what a hipster!” harassment from my friends, I always boast my confidence. Sounds corny but believe me, it’s definitely you’re best accessory.
To achieve my look:
My favorite places to shop:
- Urban Outfitters - A hipster’s one stop shop! My favorite place for loose tanks, edgy jewelry, and the widest array of high-waisted bottoms.
- Nordstrom - My go-to place for shoes. I’ve bought all my Steve Maddens there and then some. They have a huge selection and something for everyone!
- Anthropologie - The brands at Anthropologie have definitely mastered the art of mixed prints! Polka dots with floral, stripes with ikat, you name it they have it!
- PacSun - I shop here to get my fix of that laid back Cali style that reminds me of living in Orange County. They always have great body con skirts, maxi skirts, adorable sweaters, and perfect little dresses. Not to mention their unique prints and graphic tees!
My makeup routine:
- First, I use the face touch up stick (by Bobbi Brown) in porcelain.
- Next, I set the concealer with mineral finishing powder (Laura Mercier).
- I add a little color to my very fair skin with bronzing powder (Bobbi Brown) in golden light.
- Moving onto the eyes: first I use Revlon ColorStay jet black liquid eyeliner to make a thin line on my upper lash line.
- Second, I curl my lashes with Revlon Supreme Curl lash curler.
- Lastly, I apply a lot of Covergirl Lashblast Fusion mascara.
- If I’m looking for a more dramatic look, I’ll also apply a coat of Covergirl Lashblast Volume Blasting mascara and some Bobbi Brown eyeshadow in shell (you could even sprinkle in a little sparkle).